Our client currently requires a structural enginer, that is able to sign off steel structured designs within South Africa.
Position Summary :
This individual will be responsible for researching, designing and developing various steel structures (mainly towers) and foundation designs. This will typically be done using Solid Works / Prokon. The incumbent will aim to reduce costs and manufacturing time for all designs. Visits to manufacturing facilities, tower sites and clients will be required. Management of the external design consultant will also fall within the scope of responsibility.
Essential Functions :
- Design and development of structural steel towers (structural design experience with Prokon preferred)
- Design and development of angular lattice tower foundations
- Check client technical specifications against existing designs and provide best possible solution
- Liaise and manage external design consultant
- Liaise with client’s design consultants to ensure design certification of existing towers when required
- Performs research, design and development in such areas as structural steel towers and civil works
- Assist in all facets with regards to the day to day operation of the tower division
- Reports to the senior structural engineer towers and within the parameters set has the freedom to act within their technical discipline. Independently evaluates, selects and applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria, using judgment in making adaptations and modifications. Assignments have clear and specified objectives. Develops own resources to solve problems and provides imaginative solutions to a variety of problems. Assumes responsibility for a definable portion of a project.
Required Qualification :
- Bsc. in Structural / Civil Engineering or similar engineering qualification
- A professional registration would be an advantage e.g. Pr Eng
- 4 to 10 years of work experience involving the use of Civil Engineering principles and practices, as well as knowledge of typical Civil processes and Design; Structural design experience is necessary and the design of steel structures would be an advantage
- An understanding of solid modeling software – SolidWorks or AutoCad
- Experience in the use of structural analysis software is required e.g.Prokon, Guymast or equivalent
- An ability to manage draughtsmen and 3rd party manufacturers
- An ability to complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision
- Must possess good oral / written communication skills
- Able to effectively work on project teams consisting of departmental and/or cross-functional personnel
- Able to travel into Africa and internationally when required
What is in it for you ?
- Opportunity to work for a global leader where innovation is encouraged.
- Opportunity to learn and be involved in new and cutting edge technologies
- Work in a stable, winning, team-oriented environment.
- A competitive compensation package.
If you are interested in this position and wish to be considered for this role please send your most recent Cv and detals of your salary expectations.
Job based in:
50-60K USD annual salary
Employer / Recruitment Agency
Tangent International Group
Apply for this job
Job Advert Published on: 8th June 2009